Update your browser or Flash plugin
Selectors 003 - Marcel Dettmann
release date: 23 June 17
Following celebrated compilations from Motor City Drum Ensemble and Young Marco – and with the second edition of its limited-capacity festival in Croatia right around the corner – Dekmantel's Selectors series now continues with an edition curated by Marcel Dettmann.
Although he's now known as one of the world's most celebrated techno artists, even Marcel Dettmann had to start somewhere. Long before he ever held court at Berghain (or its predecessor, Ostgut), he was just another young boy in Eastern Germany, one whose earliest encounters with capitalism involved spending every penny he could scrape together down at the local record shop. In those days, it wasn't techno that got him excited, but new wave, post-punk, industrial and EBM acts like Front 242 and Depeche Mode.
"It's music from my childhood," says Dettmann. "It's still relevant and still inspires me." That inspiration can be heard across this edition of the Selectors series, as Dettmann has put together what he describes as a "pre-techno compilation." Much like the previous Selectors editions, the compilation is not a mix CD, but a collection of tracks hand picked by Dettmann from his own vinyl archives. Freshly remastered – and occasionally reworked or re-edited by Dettmann himself – the songs here are undoubtedly vintage gems, but they also represent a very personal journey into Dettmann's past.
"It was a great opportunity to dig deeper into my own musical outlook," he explains. "The tracks come from a time before Marcel Dettmann became a DJ." Simply put, the songs here are some of the building blocks upon which he's built an incredibly storied career, and now he'd like to entrust them to future generations.
- Vinyl 2xLP €23.50
tracklist Vinyl 2xLP
- a1. Front 242 - Don't Crash
- a2. The Force Dimension - Algorythm (Manipulating Mix)
- a3. Executive Slacks - So Mote It Be
- b1. Martin Dupont - The Light Goes Through My Mouth
- b2. A Thunder Orchestra - Diabolical Gesture (Marcel Dettmann Edit)
- b3. Twice A Man - Happy Life
- c1. Cabaret Voltaire - Low Cool (Marcel Dettmann Edit)
- c2. Kaa Antilope - Rise Up Helicopter, Like A Bird
- c3. Clan Of Xymox - A Day
- d1. Ministry - Same Old Madness
- d2. Fad Gadget - Back To Nature
tracklist CD 1xCD
- 1. Front 242 - Don't Crash
- 2. The Force Dimension - Algorythm (Manipulating Mix)
- 3. Executive Slacks - So Mote It Be
- 4. Martin Dupont - The Light Goes Through My Mouth
- 5. A Thunder Orchestra - Diabolical Gesture (Marcel Dettmann Edit)
- 6. Twice A Man - Happy Life
- 7. Cabaret Voltaire - Low Cool (Marcel Dettmann Edit)
- 8. Kaa Antilope - Rise Up Helicopter, Like A Bird
- 9. Clan Of Xymox - A Day
- 10. Ministry - Same Old Madness
- 11. Fad Gadget - Back To Nature